expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Author Spotlight!! Lex Martin @lexlaughs

Author Spotlight!

Lex Martin  
Author Interview

What prompted you to write your first book?

I've always wanted to write a novel, but it took a family crisis to prompt me to go after this goal. I needed an outlet and a change of direction. Writing became that for me.

Is there anything or anyone in particular that you draw inspiration from?

So much of what I write revolves around Boston. It's where I attended college, where I met my husband, and where I met several of my best friends. I guess it seems fitting that I'd write a New Adult series that draws from those experiences.

Which story has been your favorite to write?

I've loved writing both of the books in the Dearest series, but for different reasons. I drew so heavily from my experiences at Boston University to write Dearest Clementine that this story became special because of those elements. I used my life to fill in her surroundings, so it feels really personal to me. Finding Dandelion was just a fun novel to work on. It was the first time I did a split point-of-view, shifting back and forth between my two main characters. And I had blast writing Jax, the playboy-asshole-hottie.

Is there a book concept you’re just dying to write?

I have a New Adult romance series I can't wait to start, but those details are still top secret.  I think I'd also love to write a post-apocalyptic zombie book (with lots of oh-my-god-we-might-die-so-let's-have-crazy-monkey-sex scenes) or a paranormal romance.

Which character of yours, is your favorite?

The series revolves around Clementine, her twin brother Jax, and their childhood best friend Daren. I love all three of them. (And as any parent will tell you, you can't pick a favorite child!) But of all of my characters, my personality comes through the most with Clementine. Plus, her surroundings are very specific details from my experience at BU, so she feels the most personal to me.

Do you have a favorite book?

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Who is your favorite Disney character?

Ariel because I love the songs. Although in the original story, she dies. WTF. I'm also a little partial to Snow White because what girl doesn't want to boss around seven guys? ;)

Do you have a method to your writing process? Outlining, etc.

I started out a pantser, but my life has gotten exponentially easier since I started beat sheeting (outlining). It's also really important that the first quarter of my book is really tight before I plow ahead. (And the perv in me is laughing over 'tight' and 'plow' right now.)

Have you ever gone back to book you’ve published and wished you could have changed the ending or some other major aspect of the story?

Mostly I go insane over typos, but I've updated my books to make those corrections. But occassionally, someone will write me and and make a comment that gets me thinking about the other possibilities I could have taken with the story. I've been so challenged by that kind of feedback that I've asked a few of those people to be beta readers for me. Because I'd love to consider those possibilities before I publish.

What is the one piece of advice you’d give to new writers?

Find critique partners who will be honest with you and not just blow smoke up your ass. Honestly, this is really important.  Once you get their feedback, be open to it.


About Lex Martin

I write new adult novels, the sexy kind with lotsa angst, a whole lotta kissing, and the hot happily ever afters. When I’m not writing, I live a parallel life as an English teacher. I love printing black and white photos, listening to music on vinyl, and getting lost in a great book. Bitten by wanderlust, I’ve lived all over the country but currently reside in the City of Angels with my husband and twin daughters.

Stalk Her 

Website  ©  Facebook  ©  Twitter  ©  Amazon  ©  Goodreads    

Join the Dearest Series Fans Here

This is a discussion group, all about the Dearest series by Lex Martin! Fans will get advance news of upcoming projects, exclusive excerpts, giveaways and early views of teasers and covers!

Books by Lex Martin


Dearest Clementine 
(Dearest #1)

By Lex Martin
Release Date: May 25, 2014
Genre: New Adult Romance


Twenty-year-old Clementine Avery doesn't mind being called bitchy and closed off. It's safe, and after being burned by her high school sweetheart and stalked by a professor her freshman year of college, safe sounds pretty damn good.

Her number one rule for survival? No dating. That is until she accidentally signs up for a romance writing class and needs material for her latest assignment. Sexy RA Gavin Murphy is more than happy to play the part of book boyfriend to help Clem find some inspiration, even if that means making out...in the name of research, of course.

As Gavin and Clem grow closer, they get entangled in the mystery surrounding a missing Boston University student, and Clem unwittingly becomes a possible target. Gavin tries to show Clem she can handle falling in love again, but she knows she has to be careful because her heart’s at stake…and maybe even her life.

DEAREST CLEMENTINE is a stand-alone novel with two companion novels. This New Adult romance is recommended for readers 18+ due to mature content.

Buy Links 

Amazon   ©   Barnes & Noble  ©  Goodreads  ©   Kobo
 

Finding Dandelion 
(Dearest #2)

By Lex Martin
Release Date: July 11, 2014
Genre: New Adult Romance

When soccer all-star Jax Avery collides with Dani Hart on his twenty-first birthday, their connection is instantaneous and explosive. For the first time in years, Jax isn’t interested in his usual hit-it and quit-it approach.

But Dani knows better. Allowing herself a night to be carefree and feel the intensity of their attraction won’t change anything when it comes to dealing with a player. So when Jax doesn’t recognize Dani the next time he sees her, it shouldn’t be a total shock. The fact that he’s her new roommate's brother? That’s a shock.

Dani doesn’t regret that night with Jax, just the need to lie about it. Since her roommate has made it clear what she thinks about her brother’s “type” of girl, the last thing Dani wants is to admit what happened. 

Jax knows he’s walking a fine line on the soccer team. One more misstep and he’s off the roster, his plans to go pro be damned. Except he can’t seem to care. About anything… except for the one girl who keeps invading his dreams.

Despite Jax’s fuzzy memory of his hot hookup with his sister’s friend, he can’t stay away from her, even if it means breaking his own rules. But there are bigger forces at work–realities that can end Dani’s college career and lies that can tear them apart. 

Jax realizes what he’s losing if Dani walks away, but will he sacrifice his future to be with her? And will she let him if he does?

FINDING DANDELION, the second book in the Dearest series, is a stand-alone novel. This New Adult romance is recommended for readers 18+ due to mature content.
Buy Links 

Amazon  ©  Barnes & Noble  ©  Goodreads  ©   Kobo




Kissing Madelien

(Dearest #2)

By Lex Martin
Expected Publication: Late 2014
Genre: New Adult Romance

After walking in on her MMA fighter boyfriend in the arms of another woman, Maddie McDermott learned her lesson about dating athletes – don’t do it. Ever. Not even if he’s the “it boy” of football and her hot-as-hell new neighbor.

NFL’s newest star, Daren Sloan, kicks ass in every area of his life – football, school, family – every area, that is, except relationships. Newly single after almost marrying one of the worst mistakes of his life, he plans to take full advantage of all the benefits he’s worked so hard to achieve. For now, those perks include no strings, and fortunately, no woman can resist his charm. Well, no one except his feisty neighbor.

When their jobs collide, Maddie and Daren can’t seem to avoid each other or their undeniable attraction. So they keep things casual… until they quickly realize “friends with benefits” is not enough.

Although they do their best to keep the nature of their relationship under wraps, the media loves a good story. And so does the person scheming to break them up. Will Daren convince Maddie she can trust him? Or will the media storm brewing tear them apart before they even get started?

This is a companion novel to DEAREST CLEMENTINE and FINDING DANDELION. Each book is a stand-alone.


Add it to Goodreads 
© Goodreads  ©




No comments:

Post a Comment